Now that I can find good cucumbers again (oh, how I missed them over the winter!), I made my favorite salmon dinner. There is nothing complicated or fancy about this recipe, but I think the different flavors really complement each other. Something you may have learned about me through this blog is that I love to try new recipes, which means I often don’t get around to repeating a lot of recipes. The recipe I’m sharing with you today has been in my rotation for several years, so you know it’s a keeper! Plus, as I’ve mentioned before, salmon is good for you! It never hurts to have a few go-to recipes for salmon! 🙂
Salmon with Cucumber Chili Salad from World’s Healthiest Foods
- 1½ lb salmon fillet,deboned and skin removed cut into 4 pieces
- 3 cups thinly sliced washed cucumber, do not peel
- 2 tsp minced jalapeno pepper*, seeds and stem removed
- 1/2 cup chopped scallion
- 3 TBS chopped fresh cilantro
- 1½ TBS chopped fresh mint
- 2 + 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBS soy sauce
- 1 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- *if you like food less spicy, use less jalapeno pepper
- To Quick Broil salmon, preheat broiler and place an all stainless steel skillet (be sure the handle is also stainless steel) or cast iron pan under the heat for about 10 minutes to get it very hot. The pan should be 5 to 7 inches from the heat source.
- Rub salmon with 2 tsp fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper. (You can Quick Broil with the skin on; it just takes a minute or two longer. The skin will peel right off after cooking.)
- While pan is heating, prepare the remaining five ingredients.
- Using a hot pad, pull pan away from heat and place salmon on hot pan, skin side down. Return to broiler. Keep in mind that it is cooking rapidly on both sides so it will be done very quickly, usually in 7 minutes depending on thickness. Test with a fork for doneness. It will flake easily when it is cooked. Salmon is best when it is still pink inside.
- While salmon is cooking, whisk together lemon juice, tamari, olive oil, salt and pepper. When ready to serve toss with cucumber mixture. Do not toss ahead as it will dilute the flavor.
- Place cucumber salad on a platter and place salmon on top. Garnish with a sprig of cilantro and serve.